"Might I," quavered Mary, "might I have a bit of earth?..."To plant seeds in--to make things grow--to see them come alive," Mary Lennox, The Secret Garden

13 July 2009

Happy Happy Hydrangeas! The Gift the Rains Left

If I could only plant one thing in my gardens it would be hydrangeas, hydrangeas, hydrangeas, and more hydrangeas!


When I first started to plan the gardens at Camp Moneypit I knew for sure that every bed and spot would have hydrangeas at the center. I planted countless plants in all varieties, I even rescued some from the trash bin and popped them into the ground. There are hydrangeas that started life as houseplants, centerpieces, baby roots and even hydrangeas that were bought as sources of comfort after losses in my life. Almost all have made it through New England winters and gone on to thrive...but in my wildest imagination I could never envision a season like this...hydrangeas everywhere! HUGE mounds and mounds of color.








If you are starting your gardens or just want to add on play with hydrangeas. I love all kinds-lacecap to Pee Gee Trees but I would suggest starting with Endless Summer This is a relatively new variety that will in fact bloom from spring to frost-I have had hydrangeas as late as Thanksgiving from my Endless Summer. There is no real trick to growing any variety. Hydrangeas love moist cool spots but they will tolerate direct sun---just be sure to give the lots to drink in their first year, once established they do just fine in the sun. Color is determined by acidity in the soil but they always surprise me with the shades they form. Even the plants that were once white can change their tune the next season. Whatever their mood hydrangeas will improve yours---

Quite simply hydrangeas are Happy!

The Earth Laughs in Flowers- Ralph Waldo Emerson