"Might I," quavered Mary, "might I have a bit of earth?..."To plant seeds in--to make things grow--to see them come alive," Mary Lennox, The Secret Garden

25 April 2009

A Baby in Bloom-Spring Awakens at Camp MP

While sitting at my favorite salon having my haircut this week I thought to myself that I am not the only one due for pampering and a fresh snip.

Just as my hair has been stuffed beneath hats and scarves for the past 4 months, the Gardens of Camp Money Pit have been buried beneath piles of snow and ice and sand--it's time for a new season.

Under a milk sky the temperature today reached close to 90 degrees! A welcome piece of joy. It is still April after all, but with a winter of ice and snow and shovels and sand and boots finally gone, I threw open the doors and windows, flicked on the ceiling fans and listened to the birds chirp through the skylights...time to wake up the garden!

This was the first opportunity to do a real assessment of Winter 2009's treatment of the gardens. I walked, clippers in hand, through each bed and patch and was amazed as I always am in April how resilient and magical a garden can be. True there is plenty of winter burn, and I am afraid the mountain laurels and boxwood topiary may not kick back in, but everyone else-AOK!

First up the Hydrangeas...I have too many to count,but that won't stop me for planting more this year. Each has sprung to life and is ready to strut their stuff. I am especially proud of my climbing hydrangeas. There is an adage that the is so true when planting climbing hydrangea--The first year they sleep, next year they creep, the third year they leap!

I leave my hydrangeas more or less as is in the fall- I love the dried blooms against the snow. Come spring I cut back to the new growth. On the Endless Summer hydrangeas, which grow repeatedly on old wood, I still cut away to shape and give strength. My hydrangeas are the anchor to my gardens and my summer.


Next the Lavender patches. How is it possible that after months and months of being "buried alive" that lavender can still have a fragrance? I gave each patch a good haircut to allow the new growth to thrive but I found so much had started without me. Many spots are well on their way-no waiting for me to get around to tend them. I cannot wait to plant more! I just learned of a new variety called White Ice that I will start in containers from seeds from Renee's Gardens.

If you are visiting Cape Cod this year be sure to stop at Cape Cod Lavender Farm for a bit of Provence New England style.

Another treat is the discovery that the roses that line the driveway and the back courtyards made it through their first New England winter and are growing strong.

The great joy of the gardens of Camp MP this spring though is a real surprise. Last year I discovered that next to an old and graceful cherry tree there was a "sprout".

A "baby" tree that had rooted off of its Mom but clearly was struggling. Carefully it was dug free and planted out by the garage at the end of the drive. lots of TLC but not many high hopes for it. Well look at her now! I never expected to find her alive let alone in bloom-


made my week and my spring! and look at her proud Mum who clearly has gained strength and stands as a tribute all good Moms who send their sprouts off to thrive in the cold world.

The Earth Laughs in Flowers- Ralph Waldo Emerson